This article deals with All File locations Managed by DraftSight in Windows OS.
You can view, add or Modify File locations in DraftSight as below.
Go to Menu: Tools > Options : Click on ‘File Locations‘ tab . Or Run Command FILELOCATIONS
1. Drawing Support:
- Alternate Font File: This select fonts when current font is not available. Used in TextStyles. When When you double click on these fonts or Blank portion under it then it will open Select File dialog box whenre you can change fonts.
- Drawing Files Locations: By default Drawing files are saved in your computer on path ‘C:\ProgramData\Dassault Systemes\DraftSight\Examples‘. By default this location is used to Open , Save , SaveAs , etc Drawing files . You can change this location by double click on this path or select this path and click on ‘Browse…’ (tab in right section of Options Dialog box) and change folder path.
Check this article for more information on ‘Save’ , ‘Save As…’ or ‘Export’ in DraftSight
- Drawing Template File Location: Default path for all default template file location is C:\Users\xxx\AppData\ Roaming\DraftSight\10.3.xxx\Template . You can create new template and Save in this path or can change path and save . When you press File Menu > ‘New’ tab or run command NEW this location will open for Drawing Template [.dwt] file type .
- External Reference Files Locations: Default location C:\ProgramData\Dassault Systemes\DraftSight\Examples . When you use References from Menu ‘Tools > References Manager… ‘ then this location will open when you want to Attach Drawing or Image files.
- Font Mapping File: Default path- C:\Program Files\Dassault Systemes\DraftSight\Fonts . This is used when font file reference in TextStyle is not available .
- Library Files Locations: Default path- C:\ProgramData\Dassault Systemes\DraftSight\Examples . This is search location for Blocks .
- Line Style File: Default path- C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\DraftSight\10.3.vvv\Linestyles . This defines search location for LineStyle files.
- Print Settings Location: Default path- C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\DraftSight\10.3.vvv\Print Settings . This is print settings files location.
- RichLine Style File: Default path- C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\DraftSight\10.3.vvv\RichLine Styles . this is search location for RichlineStyle files.
- Alias File Location: Default path – C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\DraftSight\10.3.vvv\Alias . This is Commands Aliases location .
- Custom Icon Location:Default path – C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\DraftSight\10.3.vvv\ . This is location for Custom icon files which you use from CUSTOMIZE dialog box.
- Customization File: Default path – C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\DraftSight\10.3.vvv\UI\english. This is customization files location used in CUSTOMIZE dialog box.
- Menu Files: Default path – C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\DraftSight\10.3.vvv\UI . This is Menu customization files location. Check CUSTOMIZE command for this .
3. System File Locations:
- Dictionary Files:
- Custom Dictionary Files: Default path – C:\Program Files\Dassault Systemes\DraftSight\bin . This is custom dictionary file location.
- Main Dictionary Files: This is used with SpellCheck command. When you expand this option then a message pop up as below.
Click Ok on this message .
This will open List of Language names. If you are English user then by default it ‘English’ is selected. You can change this language by selecting other language and Press ‘Activate’ tab in Right section of dialog box.
- Font File Search Path: There are 2 font file search path by default. C:\Program Files\Dassault Systemes\DraftSight\Fonts & C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\DraftSight\10.3.vvv\Fonts . You can add new path and delete existing path for font file search . Also you can move Up or down these locations . These locations are used in TextStyles in Drawings which uses these font files.
- Help File: This location is for DraftSight default help file. Default path- C:\Program Files\Dassault Systemes\DraftSight\Help\english . Help file in DraftSight is saved as DraftSight.chm
- Log File Location: Default path- C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\DraftSight\10.3.vvv
- Support Files Search Path: Default Paths – C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\DraftSight\10.3.vvv\Support & C:\Program Files\Dassault Systemes\DraftSight\Default Files\Support . Same way as Font File Search path you can add delete, move up or Down these files locations.
What we learn from above article?
- When we install & open DraftSight on our computer then it creates a Folder ‘DraftSight’ on path ‘ C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\’ This folder contains another folder for our installed version like ‘ 10.3.xxx’ all our Default and user defined or changed settings are stored in this folder.
- If by any means we delete or rename this folder then all our user settings won’t be available. So be very careful when doing any changes to this folder. I would recommend that don’t change anything directly by going to this folder.
- However if you face any problem then always take back up of this folder and ask support person . OR if you have upgraded to newer version and want same settings as previous version then copy these into new folder or from Options > File locations dialog box point it to this folder if you know how to do this.
Good news is that , When you upgrade DraftSight it always copy old settings to newer version Folder as like other Good Quality CAD Softwares.
Note: On Path location xxx means user name and vvv means version folder name depending on DraftSight installation version.
Next Window Management >>
Please submit your question on our Community page!