Layers are most important part of Drawing Creation. It is higly recommended that you should use Layers whenever possible to categorize your Drawing based on different sections and Entities .
Where is ‘Layers manager’?
1. By Default it should be on Layer Toolbar. If layer toolbar is not showing then you can Right click on Top toolbars section and Select option ‘Toolbars…’
It will open Specify Toolbars dialog box . Select check box for ‘Layers’ (Note: Layers tools toolbar is different than Layers we will cover it in later post.)
On Layers toolbar Click on ‘Layer manager’ tab.
2. Another Option is To go From ‘Format‘ menu drop down list and Select ‘Layers…’ OR
3. Run Command LAYER
How to Use Layers Manager ?
New : Creating new layers is simple Just click on ‘New’ tab number of times you want new layers. All default Layers will start as per ‘Layer1’ , ‘Layer 2’, .. so on.
If you want to Rename any layer then double click on specific layer name in Layers Section and rename it.
Here we will create 2 new Layers for demo ‘Center’ and ‘Hidden’ . As per name we will define their line properties.
Delete: If you want to delete any layer then select Layer and press ‘Delete’ tab.
Note: You cannot delete Active, referenced by another element , Layer 0 or Defpoints. If you try to delete then message pop up as below.
Pressing delete tab will only mark layer for deletion . If you select layer which is marked for deletion and press delete tab again then layer will be removed from deletion mark.
Now, if you press Ok or cancel on Layers Manager dialog box then layers which are marked for deletion will be deleted.
Activate Layer : You can select specific layer and activate it b pressing ‘Activate’ tab. You can activate layer by double click on Layers ‘Status ‘ Column
Note: You cannot make layers active which are ‘Reference-dependent layers’ , ‘Frozen Layers’ and ‘layers marked for deletion’ . If you do so then following message box pop up!
Layers Summary Section shows ‘Active Layer name’ , ‘Total layer(s) defined ‘ and ‘Total layers displayed’ on Layers Manager.
Layers Section: In layers section Total layers will be displaced. Here you can change individual layers properties by double clicking on each property.
- Show: This will show layer on and off in GA. A green dot means show. A gray dot means hide.
Thought you can hide active layer while doing so a confirmation message pop up as below.
- Frozen: Freezing and thawing (not frozen) controls the visibility and the ability to edit Layers. Entities on frozen layers are protected Frozen Layers entities are ignored when the drawing rebuilds
Note: You cannot freeze Active layer.
- Lock: This is to lock and Unlock layers. If any entity present on Locked layer or assigned to locked layer then it will show as less transparent . If you move your mouse cursor over locked layer entity then it will display locked symbol.
You can not edit , re-size, move, copy or Change any Properties of Locked layer Entities. Locked entities will show in GA but you cannot modify it.
If you do so then it will pop up message as ‘Locked objects not updated and removed from the selection set.’
However, Locked layer entities will show in Print and Print Preview.
To unlock double click on locked icon in Layer row.
- Line Color: You can change line color of any layer. To open Line color list double click in Latyer row ‘line color’ column
Specify color will open Line color dialog box for ‘Standard Colors’ & ‘Custom Color’ (Normally, You can open this dialog box with LINECOLOR ccommandalso.)
- Line Style: You can choose existing line style for layer from ‘Layers Manager’ or Can load line styles by selecting ‘Other..’ in line style list. Line style dialog box will pop up to load, delete, activate line styles.
- Line Weight: You can change line weight by double clicking ‘Line Weight’ cell
- Transparency: Specify a value between 0 and 90% where 0% means no transparency (opaque).
If select ‘Other…’ then a custom dialog box pop up to set different Ttransparencyvalues than this list as below.
- Print Styles : By default this column cells are grayed out . If Drawing uses named PrintStyles (.stb files) you can view them in this column. Double click on cell to change it. You can set Print Styles from Tools > Options > System Options > Printing > Default settings > Default type. This is will be covered in another post
- Print : This determine whether you want to print selected Layer entities or not. Select layer row and click on Print icon will change Icon .
- Viewport: This is related with Sheet area If you open Layers manager from Sheet then it will give you additional properties only for Viewport layers. You can change it same way we change Layer properties. Entities inside viewport are not affected due to these changes.
- Description: You can add any description based on layer in this column cells.
Tip: Select any Layer and Right mouse click will show you some additional options as below.
Filter Expression :
This part filters layers based on wildcard entries.
- ? for a single character,
- * for a string of characters
- # for any Numeric digit
- @ for any alphabetic character
- . for any Non-alphanumeric character
- ~ for any single alphanumeric character
Next Zoom & Pan >>
[Feature image by posterize ]